Monday, March 23, 2009

Why is there a HELL???


I will explain my views on Hell from my own experience with God and from my Catholic upbringing. The answer lies off of belief in God. If you don't believe in God, Hell will probabaly never make sense, but then again, neither will life that is really messed up. For example, just a few days ago I was sent to the hospital for a little tiny 3 month old baby that was in critical condition. When I got to the Emergency Room they were doing shock treatment to try to get it's little heart beating again. The little baby had severe bruising on its head, both ears and arm. I was wondering how could such a little one have suffered so much. The baby's mother was crying hysterically... the father was no where to be found. After they called the time of death... then steps in the father who looks very coldly to his own dead baby from a distance, and then simply walks out with no emotion. It was one of the few times in my life where I literally fealt "complete darkness" within another person. It then hit me like a ton of bricks of what had happened and I was hoping that this was just my own imagination at work. I came to find out that the father had indeed crushed his own little baby's skull. How can there be a Hell? I think the answer lies in how can something like this take place on earth where a little baby is supposed to be loved and protected by its own father.

As a Christian who is Catholic, I don't believe we were created to live "Hell" on earth either. I see so many lives ruined by suicide, alcoholism, drugs, sex that is supposed to be love between two people turned into something violent and grotesque... and worse. Why the rapes, the abortions, the murder, the hatred of self and others, the vulgarity and hatred in words and actions, beating the hell out of others, and on and on and on. This is the beginning of Hell on earth and I don't think those who choose this as a way of life will see a good place unless they desire to change.

God did not create us for death, darkness, and a hell bent desire for destruction. But when we take Him out of the picture and out of our lives, what are we left with but misery? God sent His only Son to suffer and die to take this darkness out of our lives and to give us life... the option is there for the taking for those who want it which means there is another option for those who don't.

God never sends anyone to Hell and does not condemn anyone. We condemn ourselves but shutting Him out of our lives. If we shut the light out... we are left with darkness. If we are sick and choose not to go to the Physician, how can we ever expect to be healed?

I was thinking about my own life and where I was headed with my drinking problem and disordered desire for sex without ever thinking about the dignity and respect of the other person I was with... it left an emptiness in me and it grew the more I did it. After my car accident I realized I was going to a very bad and dark place forever if I had died without changing my life. I was literally headed for destruction. God spoke to my heart and I asked Him why...why would I be going to Hell if He loved me? He answered with this... "I am not sending you... you are cutting me out of your life and I am the source of life. When you cut yourself off from the very source of your life and happiness, what do you expect to be left with? I sent My own Son to suffer and die for you but you don't want Him in your life... you are chosing death... I chose you for life."

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."

3 comments:

  1. So very sad.

    50 million abortions - times sad.
    Our exorcists must be working double shifts.

    I keep thinking about that poor mother , and the man that was supposed to protect, and love her, and the baby. He sinned against her twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe matter - which is the state in which we currently exist - is Hell. Something vaguely akin to the old saying "hell on earth". And Heaven is to be with God outside the bondage of matter.

    ReplyDelete