Saturday, October 3, 2009

"Lord, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing..."

“And it came to pass, that when the multitudes pressed upon Him to hear the word of God, He stood by the lake of Genesareth. He saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets. And going into one of the ships that was Simon's, He desired him to put back a little from the shore. And sitting He taught the multitudes out of the ship. Now when he had ceased to speak, He said to Simon: Put out into the deep, and let down your nets for a catch. But Simon answering said to Him: ‘Lord, we have worked hard all night, and have caught nothing: but at Thy word I will let lower the net.’

And when they had done this, they enclosed a very great multitude of fishes, and their net broke. And they beckoned to their partners that were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they were almost sinking.” (Luke 5:1-8)

~ What would it be like at the end of your life when you stand before Our Lord and He asks for you to lower the net of your life to see what is inside… what souls you have brought to Him throughout your life? Would that net be empty or full? I remember one priest sharing with me what it would be like going into Heaven into this huge auditorium and seeing Our Lord with the angels and saints greeting me at my first entrance in (assuming I make it there, of course). But as I look around, will I see any empty seats? Will I say: “Hey, where is my spouse and children, where is my brother or my sister, where are my friends, my students, my co-workers?” Will Our Lord respond: “I gave you the opportunity to bring them towards Me but you didn’t. You chose not to let Me into your relationship with them.”

Again, it is impossible for us to catch a soul. We can’t touch or move souls, but God can. For Him it is easy. He knows how to touch each and every soul and draw us closer to Himself. He knows our wounds and how to heal them. He knows what we are really long for and how to satisfy the deepest thirst and desires within each one of us. He knows how to catch souls. He can teach us how to do it, or rather, will we allow Him to touch them through us?

“But at Thy word I will lower the net.” To catch souls we need to be open to listen to the voice of the Master. He is THE TEACHER. Remember and heed these words: “Apart from Me you can do NOTHING.”

Reflection Questions:

Do I take time to put a little out from shore by getting away in solitude on a regular basis with Our Lord and allow Him to teach me? Do I make time in my life to go on retreats, for at least one weekend a year? As a disciple, do I allow Our Lord to instruct me and teach me from Holy Scripture? Do I ever allow myself to go out into the DEEP in prayer and silence before Our Lord? Do I listen for His direction and wait for it? Do I work for Him and under His direction or do I see someone else as my boss? Do I seek the salvation of souls and pray those whom God has placed in my life? Do I honestly try to draw souls closer to Him and am I open to allow Our Lord to work in and through me?

No comments:

Post a Comment