Saturday, October 31, 2009

TRICK or treat ???


"Happy Halloween!" ...so the saying goes but is it? What is the focus? Seems to me by just a reflection on my own experiences of Halloween and the images given during this time of the year that the focus is death, the macabre, ghosts, goblins, ghouls, and, of course, the demonic. Of course all of this focus is hidden underneath a sweet and seemingly innocent fun atmosphere of getting candy, dressing up, and going crazy.

By the way, I randomly picked this picture up from a google search and I don't think what I find hidden in this picture was done intentionally by any means and this only emphasizes my point all the more.... there is something hidden underneath which we must be very wary of. Notice whose image is at the center of the photo, which no one here realizes of who they are in the midst of while they are just having "fun".

I am not saying all of Halloween is completely evil. It gives me food for thought of what I would really be left with if I did not have a life in Christ... impurity, seemingly "good fun", partying, ghosts, ghouls and goblins... death, decay, and of course demons. I used to party like that before my conversion and thought nothing of it. Now it is crystal clear of what my life without God would be like... Halloween. But there is a trick but no treat at the end of this game.

I don't think it is a mere coincidence that Halloween occurs on the eve of All Saints Day and All Souls Day (the day after). It is like looking at a coin and figuring out which side we really want to be focused on... heads or tails. One way leads up and the other... well. I will keep my eyes focused on Christ lest I fall where many have before me.

2 comments:

  1. I think this photo is frightening and closer to reality than we are willing to acknowledge.
    It's nice to see you posting. I'm sure your real life is swamped with activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... I have been swamped and the bayou is not easy to tread through either! God bless you Belinda and your family.

    ReplyDelete